Monthly Archives: November 2013
“Alien” Noir – High Contrast (Sin City Style) for Art 1 Class
I am so proud of this piece! I went a little crazy on it but that’s just how I do when doing something. Gotta give it my all. Our assignment was we needed to choose a scene from our favorite movie and create a Sin City style Noir Black & White High Contrast picture. We could only use a black ink pen. Obviously Aliens is my favorite movie of all time and I have always thought the Alien was just an amazing looking scary as hell creation. I wanted to try to get that effect while getting that high contrast.
Here is the timeline process of how this piece came to life.
Fun with Alchemy in Art 1 FUNdamentals
Today in Art 1, we were told about this really cool program called Alchemy. We used this software to make a mech, but the cool part was the 4 members in my group each had 2 minutes to contribute to this work. Afterwards, we got to enter it into a contest in class and the teachers choose ours as the winner!!
I also, for the fun of it decided to make a logo for my team… turned out pretty cool.
I am kicking butt in my drawings and I will scan those soon and post them ASAP.
Update time!! (BIG One) Sorry for the delay… 3DF had me busy this month!
First off I would like to say “REALLY?” 99.9%? They just couldn’t give me perfection that I strive for so hard… But, no worries, I am very happy with my final grade for 3D Foundations. This class was soo much fun yet VERY challenging. So for me to basically ace this class makes me feel so good that I am capable of learning such an in-depth program such as Maya in such a short amount of time.
So to catch everyone up to speed on what I had been working on in the past month.
Storyboarding! This was my model I made in Maya to get the idea of my story that I would be working on over the month of class. My idea was to have a character creeping through a dark city street, dodging the light, doing jumps and rolls till she finally reviled herself with a pair of guns and shooting at the camera.
Then I had to draw out the storyboard. I used my new Waycom Tablet with my new program SketchBook Pro to create these storyboards.
Afterwards I had to use PhotoShop to import them into a template to make them into professional storyboards standard to the industry. Feel free to click on each one to get a closer look at them.
I also had to make a Prop. I choose to make street lights since I know those would be part of my main light source. This was a fun yet challenging part of the assignment. There are so many things you have to think about, Keeping everything quaded, Making sure you are not going over the poly count, trying to make it look realistic while making it from one starting piece and extruding it all from one single piece. I feel it turned out great considering my limits I had to stay within. I also did other props for my scene as you will see down below.
I then had to work on creating my own character. I choose to make a female character. Once again, we had lots of limitations that we had to follow. She was constructed out of one square and each surface had to be pulled, extruded, adjusted into place.
This is my final results of my character I created 100% on this one too!
I also had to create a head for my character. I didn’t have to use it in my final movie but we had to show that we knew how to create a texture. This was my final render of my female character in a ski mask.
We also had to add color to our scene. I choose to put my character in a Bikini style outfit… Sure chics run around with twin Desert Eagles in Bikinis, RIGHT?? I also colored everything else in the scene even though in the final you lose a lot of color due to lighting.
Finally we had to light the scene showing multiple different lighting schemes and shadowing. Since I choose to do a dark city street I wanted to fill my scene with light from Lamps, windows from the buildings, and slight moon light. I lost a lot of detail that I put into my scene but the lighting effect was well with it.
Last but not least the final 6 second movie I created using Maya, Photoshop, and After Effects!
WOW!! That was a LOT!! I know… Think of how I felt all month doing it… But what a fun class and I would like to give all the credit to my wonderful teachers that helped me through the whole process. Steve Gold, Sarah DeBaar, and Brian Belz, they did an AWESOME job helping me and all my peers. They have the patience of saints because I know what it is like trying to walk someone through something that you are a professional at and the other person has zero clue.